- amelinda voted for the following inWed 02 Jun 2010 23:44:38 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inWed 02 Jun 2010 23:41:10 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inWed 02 Jun 2010 23:36:33 GMT
I received this cookbook as a gift many years ago when I lived in Philadelphia and it was a nice, quite pretty introduction to California cooking (fava beans, what?!). That said, it's a fairly thin volume and one could run through the recipes pretty quickly. Also, although most of the recipes are accessible, a number of ingredients could be hard to find if you don't live in California, especially fresh. However, as a current SF resident, I like to flip through every once in awhile before I head out to the farmers market. It's out of print now, but if...
- amelinda voted for the following inFri 28 May 2010 19:16:22 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inFri 28 May 2010 19:14:47 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inWed 26 May 2010 20:00:55 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inWed 26 May 2010 17:50:39 GMT
Fun collection of both vegan staples as well as unique new recipes. There are definitely some stellar stand-outs, and a couple I wasn't crazy about. Generally, soups, stews, stir-fries, casseroles, polenta, tempeh = great! Baked goods = ok, although I'd prefer the veg kind with eggs and regular milk. Pretty much what you'd expect. Although I plan to get a vegan cupcakes cookbook in the near future and give vegan baked goods another try.
Wonderful book about the joys of food and simplicity. Easy to follow recipes and incredibly helpful reference sections. Alice has a distinct voice throughout, which I find comforting. When I'm in need of a gift for a fellow cook, if they don't already own it, I buy this cookbook. Even if they already know how to make roast chicken, for example, I feel like the descriptions lend to a new and lovely perspective on the process.
- amelinda voted for the following inFri 14 May 2010 00:23:50 GMT
Absolutely gorgeous cookbook with delicious and unique recipes. Heidi's reference sections for the "super natural" cook transformed my pantry and, I believe, made me a much healthier eater. Looking forward to cooking my way through it - everything I've tried so far has been wonderful.
- amelinda commented on the following inWed 12 May 2010 23:53:09 GMT
- amelinda voted for the following inWed 12 May 2010 23:47:40 GMT
Incredible book that really inspired me to pursue more vegan cooking. Terry not only provides you with amazing, inventive recipes, but gives you a glimpse into his life and background. I love the personal aspects and the music, art and film recommendations. He is spot-on in all counts I've tried.
Top hint with this book: Make the greens. The magnificently simple and vibrant Citrus Collards. Wowza.